Sunday, March 11, 2007

Through a Child's eyes

What is this?
Looking every so inquizatively at the box in the corner.
What is this?
1991 - It was a good year, Bush/Clinton Presidential Race: lets talk politics. But wait, whats that in the corner?

From the moment I saw it, i was intrigued. A magic box: full of possibilities


The first time i saw a computer was the fall of 1991. My elementry school had recently purchased a computer to help in the education of the students. Our 4th grade class was given the first opportunity to use it. A simple math and spelling program was offered. My how poorly i could type. As a child growing up in a country school district, I was not privy to using typewriters. In the school office while working for the secretary, I was asked to type something up. I couldn't do it. For the life of me I could not get the hang of typing.

Looking at today's society, I am still amazed as to how far we have come. From 1991 to 1997, typing and computer classes were being offered through the school to prepare us for what was to come. Then in 1999, i took my first Visual Basic course. Still I could not get the hang of typing. With the advent of instant messaging systems like AIM and YIM, finally there was an outlet that provided motivation to learn this new technology other than just passing a class.

When i first saw the computer, i was perplexed, intrigued and mystified. How can such a small mechanical box truely change the world? It was simply a tool to get work done. Thats what my parents told me. But this magic little box, had the power to unite peoples far and wide. Bringing into the home all the information once reserved to my grandmother's bookshelf down the street.


No comments: