Monday, April 2, 2007

Hunting with the help of computers

Well, I would not describe myself as an avid outdoorsman. Actually I have never been hunting, fishing or camping and I do not plan on doing any of those things anytime soon either. I am just not drawn to such hobbies. However, I do know many people who enjoy a weekend outside. Many men and probably some ladies enjoy hunting for the camaraderie, thrill and because they enjoy eating what game they do kill. I have nothing against people who hunt and I think it is acceptable to kill an animal if you plan on eating.

However, I recently read an article in the USA Today which discussed a new trend in technology, hunting with the help of computers. People were able to take the life of an animal simply by clicking their computer mouse. The owner of the property where the animal was shot was then willing to mail the hunter the head of the animal he or she killed. I am unclear about what happens to the rest of the animal remains! The articled cited many hunters who believed the use of the computer to kill game was not actually hunting. The animal has no chance of spotting the hunter because he or she could be miles and miles away in their living room. The animal does not have instincts to know who is watching it graze from their home via hi-speed internet. It gives the hunter an unfair advantage.

People who support this type of hunting said it may enable men and women overseas to still enjoy their sport as well as those with disabilities. While I support our troops in places around the world and I feel bad for people who can no longer hunt do to old age, injury or disabilities, I am not sure hunting with the use of cameras and computer technology is fair. Could a simulated hunting game provide the same fix for hunters who may not be able to hunt during different seasons for various reasons? I do not know.

Hunting has been around for years and it has obviously changed over time. Better rifles, bullets, spotting equipment and more have been developed to make hunting easier for people. Is computer technology the next logical step in hunting? Many states have already begun to take action against computerized hunting, but it has not been outlawed in all states. If you are a hunter, I am curious to know how you feel about the use of computer technology in your sport.

No comments: