Saturday, May 5, 2007

Books online

I was recently at the public library doing some homework when I noticed a sign. The sign read “ask your librarian about eaudiobooks and digital downloads.” Instead of inquiring about such technologies, I went home and searched the library’s website on my own. To my surprise the library now offers such services to their patrons. People are able to download entire books directly to their ipod or mp3 player. There were over 100 hundred books comprised of every genre imaginable to download.

Ebooks can be checked out any time of day and as many times as patrons would like. After 21 days the file no longer works unless the book has been renewed. Patrons do not have to worry about fines or overdue books.

Going to the library was a weekly occurrence at my house as a child. My siblings and I always looked forward to it. However, I do not frequent the library anymore. But apparently to get some books, I would never even have to physically set foot inside the library to read or listen to some of my favorite stories. This service may have been available for some time now, but it is new to me. Larger cities with bigger public libraries may have even more books available online.

I think this could do wonders for children and families who cannot travel to the library for some reason. Ebooks may have the ability to help diminish the literacy problems in our country. Children can download books from their computers at school or home. To use the library’s ebooks a person must have a working library card.

http://www.erielibrary.org/tracknetlibrary.html

No comments: